Birmingham's own Abbey Roadclick to share
Grosvenor Road Studios provides office and meeting/events spaces for cultural, creative and socially responsive organisations and businesses to thrive. We also create professional networking events related to the cultural industries and opportunities learning and arts participation for the people of northwest? Birmingham. At the centre of the complex is one of Birmingham’s best loved and respected recording studios which serves local, national and international recording artists and provides opportunities for the local community to make professional quality recordings.
It boasts the largest recording studio in the West Midlands plus:
– A workspace of 7 offices for creative and cultural and community businesses
– A centre for arts training and development
– A hub for arts and community development
– A music garden for the local children and their families (under development)
Grosvenor Road Studios is a not for profit organisation. The aim is to reinvest the money into its facilities and creating opportunities to develop community services.
Grosvenor Road Studios, formerly the renowned Hollick & Taylor Studios, has been Birmingham’s best keep secret for over sixty years. During that period, many firsts have been recorded here including: All the original sound effects for Gerry Anderson’s Thunderbirds Are Go, the fabulous brass band rendition of Brighouse and Ratrick’s Floral Dance, The first Brum Beat album, Jasper Carrott’s Funky Moped.
The fabric of the original house dates to 1872. At this time Handsworth was part of Staffordshire, but in 1911, with a population of 70,000, Handsworth became a major suburb of Birmingham.
The Taylors bought the house in 1945 and converted part of the house into a recording studio soon afterwards. It became known as Hollick & Taylor studios when John Taylor teamed up with Charles Hollick, a technical engineer with whom he had previously worked.
The studio has been changed and refurbished several times over the past sixty years, adapting to suit the demands of the music industry and accommodating new changes in technology.
Following the death of Charles Hollick, the studio changed its name to Grosvenor Recording Studio Complex and continued producing high quality recordings until the beginning of the 21st Century.
Grosvenor Road Studios, was acquired by Black Voices in 2003 with the support of Arts Council England. The studios are managed by a voluntary board which brings diverse skills and knowledge of the music industry and community development.