Carleen Anderson’s Top Ten Tips
JazzConnects bring you words of wisdom from leading Voices Of The Industry. This month, we hear from the amazing voice of Carleen Anderson.
- Let the sound of your inner voice guide you. Meaning- that which brings you an uplifting feeling inside yourself, this is the vocal that is best for you.
- Circumstances like needing to eat, paying the rent, etc., could determine the singing jobs you take. Some singing work might be far from what you’d rather be doing but use this as training. It all adds to expanding your ability to sing a variety of styles.
- Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice…
- Learn to play an accompanying instrument, piano and/or guitar. The singer who can speak the language of fellow musicians gets more respect as well as can clarify the way you prefer a song to be played that best supports your style of singing.
- Maintain the ability to harmonise. Join a choir and/or a singing group to secure your tuning and blending with other singers. This will sustain your ability to mix your sound within a band. The best lead singers know how to blend their singing amidst surrounding sounds.
- Take care of your instrument. Rest. Eat properly. Find out what throat remedies work for you and always keep them nearby. Keep fit. Your diaphragm demands a lot of your energy. Make sure your body stays strong. Remember you are an instrument. Other musicians carry their instruments outside of their bodies. You carry your instrument inside your body.
- Let singing be what heals you. Whichever way your career goes, keep singing as the comfort to your soul, this will be your best reward.
- Understand that the music industry is a business. Many will pretend to be your friend who only have intentions of taking advantage of you and your internal instrument. Protect yourself.
- Keep a proper posture. It helps to elongate your statue throughout your life as well as allows the air to flow to your vocal cords more steadily.
- Always sing from your heart.
about Carleen Anderson
Carleen Anderson is a true legendary voice of the industry.Hailed by Gilles Peterson as one of the most influential singer/songwriters of her generation, Carleen Anderson is highly respected within the music industry. She’s globally known for her collaboration with the 1991 Mercury Music Award Shortlisted Young Disciples for their album, Road to Freedom and her 1994 Brit Award nominated solo album TRUE SPIRIT. Throughout her independent solo career, she’s been featured alongside a multitude of established artists from a wide array of musical genres – Nigel Kennedy, Dr. John, Omar, Chrissie Hynde, Jocelyn Brown, Meshell Ndgeocello, Paul McCartney, Brand New Heavies, Incognito, Paul Weller, Ramsay Lewis, and a further long list of luminous ones.
“SHE’S NOT JUST GOOD, SHE’S PHENOMENAL. CARLEEN ANDERSON IS ONE OF A KIND”. – JAMES BROWN
voices of the industry
Featuring what and who’s out there! Articles, Top-Ten-Tips, Sounds – giving you words and wisdom from leading Voices Of The Industry